Barwell FC vs Matlock Town FC

April 23, 2016
Score: 4 - 0

Match Report


Matlock’s awful start cost them any hopes they might have had of finishing their season on a high at Barwell.

The hosts were two goals to the good inside ten minutes, brought about by some awful defending, and when they added a third eight minutes before the interval, that was game over. A fourth from a free kick six minutes after the resumption was the icing on the cake for the hosts, but a much better second half from Matlock saw them create and waste a glut of golden chances, which has been said many times before, sums up their campaign.

Jack Siddall started alongside Jordan Ball in attack but found the going hard, due partly to Matlock’s style in the opening half which probably necessitated the first time pumped clearance on a bobbly surface. With only a sparse crowd of 151 in the ground, it made for painful watching from the Matlock viewpoint.

Midfielder BRADY HICKEY was allowed through unhindered to meet a pass from the left and drive clinically past George Willis from the edge of the box after only 3 minutes and it was soon two nil. It was all too easy for JAMIE TOWERS to burst in from the left and again leave Willis helpless with a low fifteen yard shot.

Matlock were unfortunate on 15 minutes when captain Micky Harcourt thundered a header against the crossbar from a corner on the right. Then efforts from Ted Cribley and Charlie Dawes were too high.

But TOWERS struck again on 37 minutes as he nodded Alex Tomkinson’s cross from the left past Willis. All three goals had emanated from that flank prompting Niall McManus to replace Jason Paling.

Two more changes were made at half time which led to a great improvement from Matlock with Danny Holland and Joel Purkiss replacing Siddall and Dawes.

Within a minute and a half of the restart, Adam Yates looked to have reduced the deficit only for Edward Nisevic to boot his header off the line and within another ninety seconds Holland somehow scooped a Jordan Ball cross over the bar from six yards when he looked certain to score.

But Barwell made the Matlock task look hopeless when the Gladiators lost possession twenty yards out and Liam Needham, given an almost impossible pass to deal with, brought down Tomkinson. HICKEY curled a superb free kick into the top corner with Willis, diving to his right, having little chance of keeping it out .

The rest of the contest was all Matlock with chance after chance being missed.

Goalkeeper Liam Castle pulled of a point blank save from Holland from Cribley’s cross and he was through again on 62 minutes, putting a volley wide from a tight angle.

Jordan Ball caught the bug volleying a gret chance over the bar after Cribley’s cross had been flicked on by Holland before Purkiss headed straight at Castle from a good position.

Holland again had a free header which he glanced disappointingly wide before a Purkiss cross from the right was a touch too far in front of him, but given Matlock’s inability to take chances, they would probably have also missed that one!

So it has been a horrible end to a season which promised a lot better in the early weeks, a final 17th position, but comfortably away from the relegation area means that manager Mark Hume has a lot of hard work to do in the summer.

BARWELL: 1 Liam Castle 2 Scott Lower 3 Edward Nisevic 4 Liam Kay 5 Joseph Ballinger (17 Guy Hadland 87) 6 Richard Lavery 7 Alex Tomkinson 8 Brady Hickey 9 Jamie Towers 10 Owen Story (12 Trev Braithwaite 55) 11 Nathan Edgington (14 Sam Hollis 53) Other subs: 15 Ryan Boothe 16 Declan Towers

MATLOCK TOWN: 1 George Willis 2 Jason Paling (15 Niall McManus 39) 3 Ben Algar 4 Craig Nelthorpe 5 Adam Yates 6 Micky Harcourt 7 Ted Cribley 8 Liam Needham 9 Jack Siddall (12 Danny Holland 46) 10 Jordan Ball 11 Charlie Dawes (14 Joel Purkiss 46) Other sub: 17 Jordan Pierrepoint

REFEREE: Lisa Rashid (Birmingham) ATTENDANCE: 151 BEST GLADIATOR: Ted Cribley