Spennymoor Town vs Matlock Town FC

March 21, 2017
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Spennymoor Town 3-2 Matlock Town

A brace of goals inside a couple of second half minutes were insufficient to earn the Gladiators a point after a horror first half show.

By the interval the Moors were three goals in front thanks to some awful Matlock defending and a tepid first half performance from the visitors who arrived late at the Brewery Field, the match getting under way at 8.02 pm.

Before most of the 503 crowd had settled, Matlock found themselves behind when a routine through pass from Jamie Chandler cut the centre of the Gladiators defence open with consumate ease and GRAEME ARMSTRONG rifled Spennymoor into a first minute lead.

That was lamentable defending but Matlock briefly steadied the ship, their goal not coming under threat again until the 15th minute when Chandler’s free kick swerved narrowly over the bar.

Two minutes later came Matlock’s only first half attempt of note, a clever lob from twenty five yards from Taylor beating goalkeeper Dan Lowson but dipping just too late.

More questionable defending had Matlock in further strife when on 26 minutes they failed to close down a quick interchange of passes between David Dowson and MARK ANDERSON, the latter beating Barnes with a low diagonal finish to double the hosts’ advantage.

It was three by the 35th minute with the most disappointing aspect from the Matlock viewpoint that the Moors did not have to work too hard to score their goals.

Barnes pulled off a magnificent save when Armstrong met a left wing corner with a power packed header. It showed the lesson had not been learned when the second flag kick came in from the opposite side, nobody picked up SHANE HENRY who scored with a text book header.

Before half time which could not come too soon for Matlock at this stage, Henry was again free to glance wide from another set piece.

Matlock were out for the second half a good five minutes before the Moors.

“We didn’t rant and rave” said joint boss Glenn Kirkwood afterwards. “We just wanted them to show some pride, not only for themselves but the shirt they were wearing and the club.”

Matlock’s performance improved immeasurably after the interval and it meant a nervous end for the hosts.

Michael Williams tried a daisycutter first time volley that flashed narrowly wide in the 48th minute before Joe Doyle-Charles shot lacked the power and accuracy to trouble Lowson.

But Matlock were now at last competing, being first to the ball, with the introduction of substitutes Jamie Yates and Curtis Morrison giving them increased impetus.

Morrison turned smartly only to see his shot well blocked but Matlock had better luck on 63 minutes when Taylor’s shot from twenty five yards struck Chandler and deceived goalkeeper Lowson to pull a goal back.

Then Matlock had realistic hope of saving the game when following a Yates strike into the box which Spennymoor could not clear effectively, McMANUS picked up the pieces to stroke home from close range.

Now it was definitely game on,. From a position of comfortable supremacy, Spennymoor were now clearly rattled as Matlock pressed forward, Williams came closest to a leveller with a twenty five yarder that was always rising, but nevertheless well struck.

But Matlock had given themselves too much to do. However it was a brave fightback. one that did not look possible at half time. But you simply cannot gift goals to sides like Spennymoor who strengthened their play off hopes and put another noticeable dent in Matlock’s.

SPENNYMOOR TOWN: 1 Dan Lowson 2 Kallum Griffiths 3 Chris Mason 4 Jamie Chandler 5 Ian Watson 6 James Curtis 7 Adam Mitchell 8 Shane Henry 9 Graeme armstrong (15 Glen Taylor 88) 10 David Dowson 11 Mark Anderson (12 Robert Ramshaw 70) Other subs: 14 Andrew Johnson 16 Nathan Fisher 17 Ben Smith

MATLOCK TOWN: 1 Phil Barnes 2 Liam Marsden 3 Jake Green 4 Joe Doyle-Charles (14 Curtis Morrison 61) 5 Nico Degirolamo 6 Dwayne Wiley 7 Niall McManus 8 Cleveland Taylor 9 Michael Williams 10 Marcus Dinanga (12 Marc Newsham 74) 11 Rhys Sharpe (16 Jamie Yates 54) Other subs: 15 Andy Wright 17 Ted Cribley

REFEREE: Adam Herzceg (Tyneside) ATTENDANCE: 503 BEST GLADIATOR: Michael Williams