Bedworth United vs Matlock Town FC

November 15, 2016
Score: 3 - 4

Match Report


Tuesday’s Integro League Cup First Round clash looked to be heading for a penalty shoot out until the first minute of stoppage time when Matlock substitute Curtis Morrison was recklessly brought down by Daniel Kavanagh.

JAMIE YATES netted convincingly from the spot to make a shoot out unnecessary and put a much changed Matlock through to the next round.

Academy players Jordan Pierrpont, Ben Edgson, Tom Savage and Jordan Lee all made full first team debuts, as did latest signing Kevin Grocott,one of the five substitutes from the FA Trophy win last weekend who also all started.

Bedworth, whose Oval headquarters has a 3G pitch, had two early efforts as Daniel Creaney nodded wide from a hanging right wing cross from Kavanagh before Pierrpont held a strike from Janabi Amour but AMOUR shot the First Division South hosts into a 24th minute lead, shooting past Pierrpont from twelve yards.

But nine minutes later SAVAGE would remember his debut well as Edgson’s clinical through pass was superbly weighted as it cut through the home rearguard for Savage to roll a neat finish beyond goalkeeper Nick Draper.

Lee drove narrowly wide following fine play from skipper Joe Doyle-Charles before Bedworth were happy to survive a scramble which might have seen both Marc Newsham and Savage find the target.

Adam Yates and Michael Williams were brought on at the interval but Kavanagh would come desperately close to regaining the lead for the Greenbacks, running from deep to blast narrowly wide from twenty five yards.

Pursehouse deserved better with a fine run and cross which Liam Cross did well to head clear before Morrison replaced Savage.

Lee and Edgson played major parts in Town going ahead on the hour as NEWSHAM glanced in the latter’s cross from the left. Soon afterwards Draper saved superbly from Morrison, this being quickly followed by Jamie Yates firing inches wide after a neat one-two with Newsham.

When NEWSHAM got the slightest of touches to help in a Williams header from Jamie Yates’ 65th minute corner, Matlock looked like comfortable winners, but within two minutes NATHAN McGARRITY got the final touch to beat Pierrpont after Elliott Parrott’s header from a short corner routine had created the chance.

Newsham twice had chances to complete a hat-trick but Matlock became sloppy, conceding some cheap free kicks. It was from one such situation that LUKE ROWE levelled on 82 minutes, with the diving Pierrpont only managing to tip the Bedworth’s direct fiercely hit strike into the net.

Matlock were down to ten men in the closing stages after Newsham limped off, but scraped through with Yates’ late penalty, the strike meaning that Matlock’s Academy Coach had joined one of his students in Savage by netting in the same game.

BEDWORTH UNITED: 1 Nick Draper 2 Daniel Kavanagh 3 Luke Rowe 4 Elliot Parrott (12 Jacob Dodds 71) 5 Liam Cross 6 Nathan Haines (14 Bradley Hardwick 46) 7 Janabi Amour 8 Kieron Brehon 9 Daniel Creaney 10 Nathan McGarritty 11 Lee Moore (15 Nathan Cadby 61) Subs not used: 16 Andy Penny 17 Thomas Theobald

MATLOCK TOWN: 1 Jordan Pierrpont 2 Alex Pursehouse 3 Ben Edgson 4 Joe Doyle Charles (14 Michael Williams 46) 5 Nico de Girolamo 6 Dwayne Wiley (12 Adam Yates 46), 7 Jamie Yates 8 Kevin Grocott 9 Marc Newsham 10 Tom Savage (15 Curtis Morrison 57) 11 Jordan Lee Other subs: 16 Marcus Dinanga 17 Niall McManus

REFEREE: Richard Price (Birmingham) ATTENDANCE: 62 BEST GLADIATOR: Jamie Yates