Solihull Moors vs Matlock Town FC

December 10, 2016
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

The giant killing continues for the Gladiators who
deservedly beat Conference National Solihull Moors in their
own back yard on a dark, dank and wet Saturday afternoon in
the backdrop of Birmingham International Airport.

Nico Degirolamo headed Matlock into an 18th minute lead
which Marcus Dinanga doubled twelve minutes into the second

The Moors cause was not helped when Luke Rodgers was sent
off on his debut for violent conduct following a vicious
challenge on Jake Green in the 86th minute. Referee Wayne
Barratt somehow found seven minutes of stoppage time in
which substitute Harry White netted a consolation goal for
the hosts but Matlock held firm to reach the final thirty

The victory was all the more commendable as Matlock had both
Ted Cribley through work and skipper Adam Yates out, Yates
given time to be with his newly born first daughter who
arrived on Friday night,

In came Degirolamo and Jamie Yates who would both play key

Yates would have the first strike at goal in the 2nd minute
forcing goalkeeper Danny Lewis to move smartly to save.

The Moors, who bowed out of the FA Cup at the 2nd Round
stage seven days earlier, responded five minutes later when
Phil Barnes did well to claw away a fiercely struck shot
from Jamey Osborne and from the corner, Liam Daley glanced

But it was Matlock who drew first blood when Dinanga was
fouled on the left, Yates’ free kick finding the unmarked
DEGIROLAMO who headed past Lewis.

Osborne tried his luck from distance but was narrowly too
high but in the main, Matlock were coping comfortably with
what the Moors, two divisions higher, were asking of them.

Daly again headed wide from a 34th minute corner before
Matlock broke quickly on the left, Yates showing neat skill
before crossing dangerously, the move ending when Newsham
was pulled up for a foul in the box.

As the interval approached Barnes kept the Gladiators in
front with a marvellous fingertip over the bar from a
Curtis Obeng strike.

Next it was Lewis;who shined , seven minutes after the
restart as he pushed away a shot from Niall McManus before
Town won a corner from which Degiroamo headed over the bar.

But the Gladiators were soon celebrating again when Michael
Williams sent McManus scampering down the right to cross low
and although Newsham failed to connect, DINANGA was
following up for an easy tap-in,.

Now the Moors had itr all to doand Matlock were in no mood
to let them off the hook. Everyone in a blue shirt worked
tirelessly toset upthe shock result and McManus nearly made
it three ,his twenty yarder flashing inches wide after fine
play from Dinanga.

Rodgers had a twenty yard effort comfortably saved by Barnes
who used all of his experience and knowledge to marshall the
troops in front of him. He got himself firmly in the way of
an Osborne shot but there would be no late escape for the

Rodgers sending off made it a virtually hopeless task for
the Moors and it was the former Notts County striker’s
second dismissal against Matlock, having seen red for Sutton
Coldfield at Causeway Lane last season.

WHITE netted in a one on one duel with Barnes but that
was as good as it got for Solihull who can have no
complaints about the outcome, The 100 travelling fans
celebrated their progression to the 2nd Round with the
players when the final whistle shrilled.

SOLIHULL MOORS 1 Danny Lewis 2 Shepherd Murombedzi 3 Connor
Franklin 4 Liam Daly 6 Jordan Gough (12 Eddie Jones 60) 7
Akwasi Asante 8 Jack Byrne 11 Luke Rodgers 17 Curtis Obeng
(19 Harry White 73) 20 Jamey Osborne 31 Nortel Nortey Other
subs: 13 Darren Acton 15 Jordan Fagbola20 Joel Dielna

MATLOCK TOWN: 1 Phil Barnes 2 Liam Marsden 3 Jake Green 4
Joe Doyle-Charles 5 Nico Degirolamo 6 Dwayne Wiley 7 Niall
McManus 8 Michael Williams 9 Marc Newsham (14 Alex
Pursehouse 71) 10 Marcus Dinanga 11 Jamie Yates Other
subs: 12 Kevin Grocott 15 Cameron Johnson 16 Ben Edgson

REFEREE: Wayne Barratt (Bromsgrove)
BEST GLADIATOR: Nico Degirolamo