the npl
Home // First Team Fixtures & Results

Matlock Town FC vs FC United Of Manchester

Attendance: 903 Date: 02 October 2021
Club Matlock Town FC

Matlock Town FC


The Proctor Cars Stadium

Northern Premier League
Club FC United Of Manchester

FC United Of Manchester


Match Report

Matlock Town made it 3 wins on the bounce after a 1-0 win against FC United of Manchester on a rainy afternoon at the Proctor Cars stadium. The win, that has put Matlock joint top in the Northern Premier League is the teams tenth win in the last twelve games. This game also makes it six wins from six at home in the league this season.

The visitors started the game on the front foot with Matlock struggling to get the ball into the opposition’s half for the first 5 minutes. Despite a good start from FC United of Manchester they struggled to really break down Matlock’s defence and create anything in the way of real clear-cut chances.

Matlock’s first real opportunity of the game came 11 minutes in when a cross from no.7 Alex Byrne found Jesurun Uchegbulam, however the no.10 could only find the side netting. A few minutes later FC United of Manchester created their first big opportunity of the game with ball threaded through to their no.7 Paul Ennis though he did not take his chance and struck the ball wide. These were the only two real chances either team created in the first twenty minutes of the game with neither team posing a real threat in the opening stages of the half.

The first booking of the afternoon occurred 22 minutes into the game when Matlock’s Mark Lees brough down FC United of Manchester’s Cedric Main just past the halfway line stopping what could have been a dangerous counter attack for FC United.

FC United of Manchester had a fantastic chance to take the lead 28 minutes into the first half when their no.11 Regan Linney dribbled past two Matlock defenders before forcing a great save from Matlock goalkeeper Shaun Rowley with Adam Yates then clearing the loose ball to safety. During the first half an hour of the game it would be fair to say that FC United of Manchester looked the better side.

Matlock’s next big chance came 38 minutes in when Liam Hughes glanced a header across goal forcing a good save from the FC United goalkeeper Dan Lavercombe, Adam Yates then struck the loose ball but unfortunately his effort was blocked by his teammate Alex Byrne.

There was then a big chance for FC United of Manchester right at the end of the second half with a long ball that was flicked on to send their no.11 Regan Linney one on one with Shaun Rowley however fortunately for the Gladiators his effort went wide of the post.

The teams when into half time level with the score 0-0, both teams created some good opportunities with most of them coming in the last 15 minutes if the half.

Matlock started the 2nd half brightly winning a free kick just outside of the box in the 49th minute, set piece specialist Alex Byrne delivered a good ball into the box that found the head of Liam Hughes, but the striker could not keep his effort down with the ball going over the bar. Matlock were awarded another free kick around 15 minutes later with Alex Byrne stepping up again just on this edge of the box, forcing a great save from the keeper diving to his right.

Despite a few half chances here and there neither team created any real high-quality chances in the first 25 minutes of the 2nd half, especially FC United of Manchester who were pinned back by Matlock for large spells in the 2nd half rarely getting a sight of the Matlock net.

Matlock came close to breaking the deadlock in the 86th minute when a cross from Alex Wiles found Alex Byrne in the box with him heading the ball towards the bottom left of the goal forcing a great save from Dan Lavercombe. Liam Hughes lunged towards the loose ball in an attempt to score however caught the goalkeeper while doing so and the referee awarded a free kick to FC United of Manchester.

It was beginning to look like both teams would have to settle for a point with the game still locked at 0-0 in the 90th minute. Matlock carried on pushing for a winner and were given a throw in on the right flank, Reece Kendall played the ball short to Alex Byrne who then whipped the ball into the box and found the head of no.4 Ioan Evans whose looping header from around the penalty spot found its way into the left hand bottom corner winning the game for Matlock right at the death, creating euphoric scenes at the Proctor Cars Stadium with the team running over to the dugout to celebrate with the bench and the coaching staff.

All in all, it was a deserved 3 points for Paul Phillips’ men, and the late winner typified the togetherness and never say die attitude of this group of players.

Matlock’s attention with now turn to Tuesday’s home fixture vs Mickleover Sports which promises to be a great fixture and the atmosphere is sure to be electric with the momentum created by this fantastic victory.

Matlock Town Team: Rowley, Yates, Kendall, Evans, Qualter, Lees, Byrne, Wiles (King 86), Hughes, Uchegbulam (Onyeka 65), King (Soleman 65)

Attendance- 903